Make a Donation
Support Cape Fear River Watch…
…help us continue to strengthen our programs and improve the water quality of the Cape Fear River. Click the “Donate Now” button below!
Year in Review: Thanks to donors like you, look what we achieved in 2016:
- Hosted Summer Camps, providing scholarships for campers and providing healthy foods for snacks and lunches for each camper!
- Held StriperFest and LakeFest Community Education Days to teach more than 750 citizens of all ages the importance of a healthy fishery and improving water quality in our region with the support of hundreds of volunteers like you.
- Led educational field-trips and eco-tours at Greenfield Lake for over 750 school-aged children and worked in schools to educate children about stewardship, securing your river for the future.
Actions and advocacy issues:
- Our ongoing legal action against Duke Energy has forced the company to clean up both of its dangerous coal ash sites in the Cape Fear Basin. We are monitoring this clean-up to ensure it is conducted safely and thoroughly. Our efforts have also assured that the community of Flemington now has safe water to drink. Recently, we succeeded in establishing a restoration fund that will be used to mitigate the selenium contamination of Sutton Lake, caused by coal ash. Your support saved the health of citizens in Flemington.
- We are pushing back hard against the factory farm pollution that threatens your drinking water supply, your environment, and your enjoyment of the Cape Fear River. We have documented and filed dozens of complaints of illegal waste handling in the last two years. During tropical storm Hermine and hurricane Matthew your Riverkeeper flew numerous times to document illegal spraying of hog waste and flooding of waste lagoons. This information was used to file complaints with NC environmental regulators.
- This year we all celebrated our win against Titan Cement – a victory eight years in the making. The victory belongs to our entire community and the many community groups who worked together to stand strong against Titan and their dangerous proposal to strip mine limestone along the banks of the Northeast Cape Fear River and burn coal in an enormous kiln – producing enormous amounts of air pollution. This victory also protected our groundwater resources for your future generations.
- We continue to work with our partners from the Titan fight to ensure that New Hanover County adopts strong and smart zoning regulations, specifically an improved Special Use Permit, that will prevent the next Titan-like project from threatening your community.
- We are aggressively opposing a proposal by industry to reclassify a segment of the Lower Cape Fear River estuary as a swamp, a ridiculous move that would give polluters license to further degrade your river.
- We continue to march upstream to Lock & Dam #2 and #3 to allow migratory fish to reach historic spawning grounds and have secured funding to do so.
Community Action and Saturday Series:
- First Saturday Educational Seminars – more than 500 folks attend our monthly free & informative presentations on topics that impact our river each year.
- Second Saturday Clean Ups – 400 volunteer hours kept over 3,500 of pounds of trashout of your waterways!
- Third Saturday Community Paddles – Almost 400 paddlers joined us to explore our watershed. There is no better way to know your watershed than to paddle her beautiful, inviting streams and rivers.
- Improvements to our headquarters and Lock & Dam #1 by volunteers – over 500 volunteer hours have been donated to Cape Fear River Watch and our education center to maintain our rain gardens and landscaping in 2016. We need your help to clean up after Matthew.
- CFRW has combined with Keep America Beautiful NHC and we look forward to events and clean ups!
We stand ready to respond to new threats against our river and continue to look for proactive way to improve the mighty Cape Fear with your support.
Please help us protect the Cape Fear for future generations and donate here today!
If you are a sustaining donor who needs to update their credit card information, please log in HERE! Thank you!